Motivated youth should keep the Pequest Trout Hatchery and Natural Resource Education Center in mind for their Eagle Scout Project or Girl Scout Gold Award! Projects have to be planned with and agreed upon by a Pequest NREC staff person.
Scouts are welcome to suggest a project, or they can select one from a projects list.
Policies Governing Eagle Scout & Girl Scout Bronze/Silver/Gold Award Projects at Pequest
- Scout will contact the Service Project Coordinator to discuss available projects.
- Scout will agree with Coordinator on a date to start the project.
- If he/she does not commence work by that date, the project will be available for another scout to pursue.
- Scout will present a draft proposal to the Coordinator for approval, before taking it through the scout approval process.
- This can be a rough e-mail description of the work scope and proposed timeline.
- Scout will provide a copy of the approved proposal to the Pequest Trout Hatchery and Natural resource Education Center.
- Scout will set up any needed appointments with the Coordinator during normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 9 - 4) if possible. Email is the best communication method between visits: Jessica.Griglak@dep.nj.gov.
- Once approved, work on the project may take place after hours or on weekends with arrangement.
- Scout will provide "before & after" photos to the education center.
- The scout is responsible for obtaining all materials for the project.
- Education center staff must review any educational materials to be permanently installed, before the scout produces the materials.
To arrange a meeting about service projects at Pequest, please call 908-637-4125 x 115 or email the Service Project Coordinator, Jessica Griglak, at Jessica.Griglak@dep.nj.gov.