Columbia Lake Dam Removal Timeline
June 11, 2018
The Columbia Lake Dam, located within the Columbia Wildlife Management Area, is being removed as part of an
initiative led by The Nature Conservancy with the goals of improving riparian and in-stream habitat throughout the Paulins Kill watershed. The project has begun with the drawdown of Columbia Lake and closure of the surrounding area.
Below is the timeline for the dam removal project:
- Initial Lake Lowering Begins: June 4, 2018
- Mussel Salvage and Relocation: June 9 to June 12, 2018
- Remnant Dam Removal: end of June/beginning of July, 2018
- Initial Breach to Columbia Dam: mid-July, 2018
- Scour Protection (Rt. 80/Warrington/Bugler): end of July-October, 2018
- Fish Passage (Rt. 80): October - December, 2018
- Columbia Lake Dam Demolition: January, 2019
- Stabilization/Planting: March/April, 2019
For more information see www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2018/columbiadam_closure.htm.